Thursday, July 05, 2012

Financial aid



Dear Student,
The Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) has received the information you reported on the 2012-13 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  The FAFSA you submitted serves as your application for both federal financial aid and Illinois’ Monetary Award Program (MAP).  MAP provides assistance to eligible students demonstrating financial need and is administered by ISAC and funded by the State of Illinois.  As one of those students who may be eligible, we thought you would be interested in learning what’s being proposed for MAP funding for the upcoming year and how it could impact the availability of MAP to other students like you who need help to make college a reality.
Each year, the number of MAP awards ISAC is able to provide depends on a number of factors, including program funding levels that are determined by state legislators and the governor when they approve the annual state budget.  For the 2012-13 academic year, significant differences exist in the proposed budgets for MAP.  In the governor's proposed budget, MAP funding would be about $437 million, an increase over this year's final total of about $420 million.  This would provide MAP grants for approximately 175,000 Illinois students. However, the House of Representatives has passed budget resolutions that cap overall spending at lower levels than the Governor's budget and could potentially result in a 15% decrease in MAP funding, to about $366 million, which would allow us to only serve about 135,000 students.
If the final MAP funding for this year is reduced, the program will serve fewer students in 2012-13 than it is serving this year.  (The program currently serves only about half of all eligible applicants.)  Depending on the severity of any cuts, they could also result in reductions in the award amounts for students who do receive MAP.
What can you do?
  • First, begin to plan now in case grant sizes are reduced.  Use the resources available to you on our website to identify funding options that can help you make up the gap if your MAP grant is smaller than originally estimated.
  • Second, students from around the state have scheduled a rally in support of MAP for 10:00 a.m. on April 19th at the Illinois State Capitol in Springfield.  If you are concerned about the potential impact of reduced funding on Illinois' neediest students, you may wish to join them.  Information about the event and about MAP’s impact on higher education access is available at ISAC’s website.
  • Finally, if you would like to encourage your legislators to make MAP funding a budget priority, you can find their contact information at the Illinois General Assembly’s website, www.ilga.gov.  Click on the “Legislator Lookup” link at the lower right side of the home page if you need to find out who represents you, or simply click on “Members” and the names of your State Senator and Representative to find their contact information in Springfield.
Please do not respond to this message.  Contact us to submit questions about the programs and services administered by ISAC.
Student & Parent Services
Illinois Student Assistance Commission


Do you receive financial aid  for schooling, or do you know anyone who does? If you do receive aid, and if you had to... could you do without federal financial aid for schooling? Should the MAP Grant funding be reduced? What is your knowledge on Federal Financial Aid and how it affects you? Are you aware how much our government spends annually on financial aid? Is the investment a wise one?

Missolo

17 comments:

English student said...

I think that the government letting us have the ability to receive financial aid from them is good, considering the government has such an impact on the schooling system. I think if the amount that we can receive for financial aid was to be lowered or reduced, that the pricing of going to college should go down.

Julie

English student said...

I do not receive financial but I know at least one person who does. That being said, I believe that as long as you budget it out correctly, then people should be allowed to receive financial aid when they really and truly need it. Either that or colleges need to stop charging so much money for admissions. Honestly, if someone wants to continue their education and get their dream job, then people need to step out of their way and let them get to it. I wish that tuition could cost A LOT less than it does, but I know that with our bad economy (or what people have been saying about our financial situation in the U.S.), I know that is not going to be the case.
And so, financial aid is the only way that some people can further their education, and I feel that if they want to learn, we need to not try and stop them.
Lauren Smith

English student said...

I did not apply for any type of financial aid, but I know a lot of my friends who has applied for financial aid and received aid. Unfortunately college tuition is so high that some of my friends will not be able to go to college this fall. These friends of mine are totally dependent on some kind of financial aid, some have received it, but others have not received it therefore they will not be able to go to college. As for me, my parents have saved up money for my tuitions. As long as you have budget it out correctly you should be able to get financial aid, one of my friend received $5000 aid from FASFA. I think that college should either lower the tuition rates or the government should make it easier for student to get financial aid.

-Nilay

English student said...

I don’t receive financial aid for schooling, but I do know people who do. I have done without financial aid for schooling. I received scholarships for my freshman year of college, so I know it is possible to go to school without financial aid. I don’t think the MAP funding should be reduced because it gives kids an opportunity to get an education and make something of their lives when they can’t afford to themselves. I understand that it probably takes tax dollars to fund this program, but this is actually a beneficial program that is doing good for a lot of students. I went to a couple mandatory financial aid meetings in high school, and I learned that it helps tons and tons of students throughout the country get an education. I don’t really know a lot about it, honestly. I don’t know how much the government spends annually on it, but I am sure it is wise considering it is for our nations benefit.

Chelsey

English student said...

I can't say to much about this because my school funding comes from the Federal govenment and is a part of the education I am promised as a part of my military service. I do feel guilty sometimes knowing that I don't have to worry about the cost of a book or even the gas to get to school. On the other hand it is a way for the government to thank me for my service. Epicallly since most military training does not transfer to cilivan jobs. I am very grateful that I have this money. Rebecca S

English student said...

Back in April I received an informative email saying that the House of Representatives had passed a budget cut. Depending on the severity of the cut it may result in the reduction of the MAP grant. I thought nothing about the email until the following week came. I was told by my supervisor that my last day would be Friday because they didn't have the money to pay me and the work study grant...All of $5000.00 was now gone.

MAP grants should not be reduced because students like me, you, and other individuals that you may know depend on financial aid. Without aid it’s very difficult for young adults to further their education successfully.

English student said...

i do recieve Financial aide, and if i do say so myself. i don't think i could afford to go to school without it right now. As Julie said though, if they are going to cut the amount of money we recieve for college, they should lower the price of schooling period.
-Samantha

English student said...

I have never qualified for financial aid because my parent’s income is too large but I do think that it is a good idea for those who need it. However, I think that if you qualify the state should pay for the student’s expenses directly to the school because I do know someone who received financial aid while their parents paid for their college expenses and then used the money that they received from the state on a shopping trip and a vacation. That is not what the money is intended for, nor is it fair to people who need it but can’t get it because the funds have run out too early. I think overall it is a good investment by the government because without a good education it is hard for people to succeed.

Elizabeth Luke

English student said...

I think financial aid is stupid, if is extremely unfair. It takes in both your race and family income into consideration. This is unfair because it is something you are born with. Other people that worked hard for their money have to pay the full price because they are able to but people that don’t try to earn money receive aid? That is extremely messed up, financial aid should be merit based or not given at all.

-Charlie

English student said...

I personally do not receive financial aid for schooling, although, I did ask someone who does about their thoughts on the subject. She told me that she couldn’t continue school without federal financial aid, and she also told me that the MAP Grant funding shouldn’t be lowered, because that particular grant helps people like her who cannot afford to pay for tuition to do so. If financial aid were not available, it would not be possible for many talented people to go to school. These are people who could make some great contributions to society. Education should not only be for those who can afford it, and tuition is expensive. My personal understanding of financial aid is very basic, but from what my teacher Ms. Carter told me back in 2009, somewhere between 100 and 200 billion dollars go into Federal Financial Aid per year. I feel that this is a very wise investment; it helps people pay for school related things, which is highly important. In this day and age, an education is needed to land a reasonable well paying job and to have a stable career.
-sam

English student said...

My opinion of financial aid is mixed. On one hand it is completely necessary for most people to be able to afford to attend school. On the other hand Universities are so expensive in part because of financial aid. I think the real issue is the cost of education overall and the emphasis that everyone should be entitled to go to college, I think more trade schools would be good for those who don't excel academically. But as long as the government and banks loan out money, schools can raise the price as they see fit, why not people will just borrow more money. Its a win for everybody but students; the schools because they get more money as well as the government/banks because young graduates will owe more money and they will collect more interest on the debts.
I do not receive financial aid currently but hope I will when I transfer due to a huge increase in costs.

Schnitzel

English student said...

I know almost nothing about the exact inner-workings of financial aid, nor do I have any experience with it. I think that the overall problem, though, is the ridiculous raises in how much it costs to go to school. When everyone needs an education, the cheaper it is, the easier this will be accomplished; needlessly high prices aren't helping this situation. Cutting the budgets isn't helping either.

English student said...

I don't receive financial aid, but I have a friend who does. Without that extra help from them, she would not be able to attend school.
Having the government cut spending on important things, like financial aid, is something that needs to stop. Their priorities are way out of order.
Otherwise, I don't know much about it.

Katherine

English student said...

I do not receieve financial aid at the moment because of my grades but I used to and it helps a lot. I couldn't go to school right now without the help of my parents so I can't imagine what it's like for other kids my age who maybe don't have that priviledge. I think the more financial aid there is for students, the better. Even if you have enough money to pay for college without it, if you get financial aid as well you had to have done good in school so far and should be encouraged to move on to college and beyond.

Andi

English student said...

i feel financial aid and map granting aren't good enough. in other countries they have no need for government assistance because school is free up to a BA. i do receive financial aid for school and it only covers the tuition and books. i have rent and utilities also i need to eat.if we have more of complete government funding for students, the percentage of college graduates would sky rocket.i feel as the state and government gives us just enough to keep us in debt for ever.
-Christopher Hodges

English student said...

I think that they should lower tuition then maybe more people would go to school.

Natoka

English student said...

I believe that for most people, with out financial aid from the government many people could not afford to go to college. Many people deserve the chance to go to school and if they work hard and do the right thing in high school by getting good grades, some body should give them that oppurtunity to do so because we are not all blessed with a lot of money to afford college.

Nolan